2008-09-08

On M*A*S*H...

Well, I hate to be a jerk about it... but here's where we're going to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I know that most of you saw "M*A*S*H" in this title, and perked up a bit. Or perhaps not, whichever.

What I do know for a fact is that there was a TV show that aired in the 70s that greatly affected my general outlook on life, the military, war, death, and dying. M*A*S*H was that show.

Granted, to this very day, I grudgingly admit that both of my parents were "in the Army". Let's face facts: mom kicked dad right out of the house two weeks after I was born and told him to get a job, or get lost. That's some pretty heavy dope for a 21-year-old to deal with.

As it turned out, dad did four years enlisted, got out, got his degree, and came back in as an Officer. By the time he was my age right now this day, he'd been a radio operator, Company Executive Officer, and Company Commander of an active duty Army unit in West Berlin during the mid-80s at the height of the Cold War (while managing a wife and two kids, even!).

All that being said...

I do remember distinctly a "vacation" to Aviano air base, Italy. Early 80's. A Captain in the 509th P.I.R. who was college buddies with mom & dad. Yes, we got an Italian traditional Christmas. Yes, we got to see a bunch of Army dudes jump out of C-130s. BUT... utmost in my memory (and keep in mind, youngsters, this was before the VCR became widely available).... we all got to watch the final episode of M*A*S*H, with about a three week delay, courtesy of AFRTS. (Google it, kiddo!)

Don't get me wrong - the TV show ROCKED. I have more than once blamed my parents for 'forcing me' to watch too much M*A*S*H, thereby turning me into Hawkeye Pierce and probably not Chuck "The Iceman" Lidell.

But when I was about 22 years old, I watched the feature film for the first time. Directed by Robert Altman? Starring Donald Sutherland, Tom Skerritt, Elliot Gould, Sally Kirkland, Robert Duvall? Oh, SCHNAPP! It changed my life - truly, it did.

FYI, young'uns: BJ Honeycutt was never mentioned in the film, nor was Colonel Potter, nor his wife Mildred, and Frank Burns was played by a completely different (and highly competent) actor. Hell, for that matter, so was Major Margaret O'Houlihan!

(And lest we forget Gary "Radar" Burghoff. I swear to God, if I ever meet him I will bow at his feet.)

Let's just end all this by saying that the TV show is for youngsters and amateurs. Okay, well, not entirely. But if you can't rattle off a few facts about the film? You're pretty much useless to me. I'm just sayin'...

The movie is for those who have been around for an American war or two, and those who have the right attitude about it. Or perhaps those (of any age) who would like an insight into America's attitude towards war and the military, circa 1972.

Yeah, yeah, I admit - it's not a Marine flick. But I have no doubt in my mind that M*A*S*H did help shape my life, and the military mindset that I have to this very day.

Take the serious things very, VERY seriously. Otherwise, sip a Martini and enjoy your present company...



Quotation of the Moment:
Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can? They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines? - Gen. John J. "BlackJack" Pershing, US Army; 12 February 1918

Song of the Moment: Corpus Christi Bay - Robert Earl Keen

No comments: