2008-12-16

Remedial Action - Part I

So yeah, some associate VP at UGA denied my application for admission a couple of weeks ago.

As of today, I have letters of recommendation in hand from my Company and Battalion Commanders. They were written the SAME DAY that I formally submitted a request for them. Highlights:

"SSgt D....is a huge asset to this command." "I was personally surprised to hear that he was not accepted to your university." "Attending UGA has been a goal of his since I've known him and I am willing to help this Marine obtain this goal any way I can."

Thanks, Captain! And from the Bn CO:

"I agree with the Captain's statement that SSgt D.'s present demeanor & qualifications do not marry up with his past GPA snapshot. I would have thought that his initial package to your university would have been a slam dunk approval and that is why I am writing this recommendation to ask for reconsideration."

Next step: I'm speaking to a local UGA alumnus this week for advice and a gameplan. Should he decide to pull a string or make a phone call, that's purely out of the kindness of his heart.

After that comes the campus visit, and I will have firm appointments with t1) the admissions counselor who told me the soonest I could appeal is June of 2009, and 2) the Associate VP for Admissions who signed off on my rejection letter.

I'll still be shopping housing, jobs, and speaking with University VA and financial aid reps while I'm there. I'm going to be fucking well admitted, and likely enrolled, for the Fall 2009 semester. I might as well plan accordingly.

At the end of that week, should the Admissions retards still be telling me "no", I will get that from them in writing.

After that, I'll route a formal request through my chain of command for recommendation letters from LtGen Coleman, the first flag officer in my chain of command, as well as General (four fucking stars) Amos, who was heavily involved in making the Wounded Warrior Battalion (my unit, if you recall) a reality. And, uh, also happens to currently be the Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps.

On the side, I will also write Zell Miller a nice letter explaining my situation - with my admissions essay, letters of recommendation, rejection letter(s), and current SAT scores enclosed. I will politely ask if he knows how I should proceed.

Take a gander at Zell's biography. I'm pretty sure he is not only able to help me out, but would be seriously predisposed to do so. Call it a hunch.

I'm reasonably certain that if it even gets to that point, this here four-generation Georgia native will be personally guaranteed a place at the table with the UGA Class of 2013.



Failing all that, I'll shame my entire family name and heritage, selling out my own personal honor and good name like a cheap whore, by enrolling at Emory. Or (God help me) worse yet, Georgia Tech.

Or some shit.

Song of the Moment - "I Got Loaded", Los Lobos

Quotation of the moment: "Heaven knows its time; every bullet has its billet." - Sir Walter Scott, 1862

No comments: